Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Travel and life

Just back from a vacation and feeling happy and energized. Exploring new places is invigorating. Getting used to a new lifestyle (albeit temporary), getting around, attitude of locals, eating joints, fitting the best in your itinerary and such, drill my mind. There is always much more to do than I could manage when am visiting a new place. The art of being able to relax and handle the excitement of loads to do all at once is - well, an art.

This yearly event is exciting right from preparation till much after I return. Once I am back, I talk, talk and talk about it as if the person that I am sharing with, is on a journey with me to the place and living my experience. After a few days I don’t talk about it as much, not so much out of my choice but people around me have had an overdose.

For a long time, memories keep coming and going bringing a smile or frown as I mull over my latest sojourn. My struggle with language, a foolish act, that one breathtaking place, the sunset, seashore, steep mountain walk or just a few hours of being myself – these thoughts live with me. As reality and my daily routine take over, these memories seem to tuck themselves away somewhere at the bottom of my memory pile. When I think of a trip that I took in the not-so-recent past, it feels like it was in another life and I was another person.

These getaways teach me deeper meaning of life. Get high with excitement one week and switching back to routine the next - shows the temporariness of most things in life. Ambition, passion, likes, priorities and favorites are constantly changing as I move on in life. I live life every minute yet don’t realize when the process of metamorphosis happens.

During my recent vacation, I visited a friend who has travelled widely. She has put up a world map in her study and stuck tiny round stickers on the places that she has visited. Isn’t it just that - spots? People, places and memories of our lives remain spots – some bright, some fading and a few painful. They are a part of our lives, making us who we are!

Travel is transition but so is life!

4 comments:

PRIYA SHARMA SHAIKH said...

"Temporariness" is the true phenomenon of life and most people miss this reality in their desire for 'maya'... There is a beautiful urdu saying that says, "Samaan sau baras ka aur kal ka pata nahin". I believe that the beauty is in the moment and hence I live every moment to the fullest :) Hope Niyoshi and you continue to share great times like this for ever...

RAHUL AITHAL said...

Absolutely true. You are living life at the fullest. journey is more important than the destination...

Charanya said...

Seriously,its obvious that you are having great fun in whatever you do!thats FANTASTIC and WONDERFUL.keep going the same way and keep it up!!!!!!:):)

Niyoshi said...

We went to Dubai and Istanbul... It was a wonderful trip...

Very well written...