Friday, March 27, 2009

Uncertain certainty

I visited a bereaved family last evening. The girls (my good friends) who lost their mother were devastated. I had no words to console them. Their mother is the most innocent woman, I have met; childlike and naïve.

Hale and hearty, had her usual chat with one of her daughters in the morning over phone and in the night she was gone, just like that. No warning, no preparation or no good-byes. The girls (who are all mothers themselves) looked traumatized. It would take a while before they come to terms with their loss.

Death is the only certainty in our lives. But how does one deal with something that’s so sudden? How does one ever get prepared for this last milestone when the timing is so uncertain? Is this the last lesson that our mothers give us - to be independent, strong and be brave grown ups that we could make do without our parent? I guess that’s the saddest part of growing up.

Let’s love them and more importantly express it, while we still have them.

May the departed soul rest in peace!

5 comments:

RAHUL AITHAL said...

Amen!

Unknown said...

Thanks!Good Reminder

Bhavana said...

The loss is great and though the pain heals a bit as time passes, it never leaves us.

PRIYA SHARMA SHAIKH said...

Hey Kamala -- I can imagine how you must feel for your friends and I can imagine that you too must be grieving within ... Sigh...parents are like God on earth and I do try my best to do all that I can for them and with them but I have this knawing guilt all the time that whatever I do it is never enough and that time is running out ...

Asit said...

It's sad indeed. But one always has to think from the point-of-view of the departed. Sure it is very sudden and devastating on the family. But the departed didn't suffer.