Sunday, June 22, 2008

Life in big city


I saw this a couple hundred meters before a traffic light in Oxfordshire. I found it amusing when I sighted it, but then I noticed some road repair work was being carried out between this board and the traffic light. My immediate thought was how many such boards will have to be installed in Bombay, if the authorities ever bothered about motorists and pedestrians.

Now don’t give me that “Don't ask what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country”. I am a tax payer and wonder from time to time, what this country is providing me in return. We have been a “developing nation” for far too long and wonder if / when would we get to the “developed” status.

I don’t want to sound like am complaining; but the feeling that how deprived we are in certain aspects of life, gets the better of me sometimes. I guess my state of frustration arises out of ever increasing prices (check out the recent inflation number) and depleting infrastructure. God Save us!!
.

3 comments:

RAHUL AITHAL said...

You are not complaining. Its the thought everyone gets everyday especially in a city like bombay.Only difference is that you have the guts to express it.

Rahul

Asit said...

I remember a long time ago when I landed an Mumbai. There was a sign saying "PLEASE DO NOT SPIT HERE". Ayu saw it and asked me, "Do people have to be told not to spit?"

Unknown said...

This anguish is not only in u , every Single indian who travels around the world has the same to say. It is our mistake (FATE)in election process, too much of loopholes in every aspect of life. No one is responsible / accounable. Every one wants the best but no one is interested in cleaning the cancer. Check the latest elections that ended in Karnataka, congress lost and they
made someone as scape goat for the whole process of failure but orders
come from the TOP.Indeed My vist to china has opened my eyes, that
size doesn't matter much. it is the iron hand that makes progress in all.look at even the smallest of the nations where the quality of life is far more better than india.Multi- is our problem -languange, race, community, etc.etc.. People are proud of caste Creed and religion... until we think of others we are going to be only a developing Nation.Jai hind. sill l love my mother land