Thursday, March 29, 2007

Now and then

Last Sunday, after dropping off my dad at the airport (he was going back home*), in a somber mood I was telling my daughter how hard life was when we were kids and how easy things are for them these days. She has heard this a few times before, so looked at me squarely and asked me “didn’t you have fun when you were a kid?”

That set me thinking and here goes -

Then, I wanted to be all grown up, working and independent.
Now, I want to go back in time, back to school and blissfully dependent.

Then, I thought parents could often be a source of embarrassment.
Now, I realize that feelings are mutual.

Then, complicated things looked simple.
Now, everything seems complicated.

Then, shopping was to survive.
Now, I seem to survive to shop.

Then, I longed to add a few Pounds.
Now, I starve to keep them off.

Then, ‘going away’ was fun.
Now, ‘going home*’ is excitement.

Then, ‘change’ was the way of life.
Now, even changing clothes is an effort.

Then, I needed more money...
Some things never change!

*going home for me is by default going to Chennai

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

touched my heart!

Asit said...

Then, shopping was to survive.
Now, I seem to survive to shop.


I agree!

Unknown said...

That's so much similar to my childhood days..guess that's why we connect ..But thanx to those days now we CAN SURVIVE AGAINST ALL ODDS..Hope our kids have as much fire in their belly as much as we have..
sumi..

Mr(s) G :-)) said...

Hi K,
This is a great start. You do have a good poetic inclination towards things. From the expression on Frinitis, I guess that you guys have changed the exaltation of TGIF into a disease! How sad!!! Or probably TGIF is so passe that today's youth can't be seen to be associated with it?
I did like the 'Somethings never change" part.
Good show! Keep writing.
I am linking yours to my blog.

Kamala Aithal said...

anonymous,
Thanks!

asit bhai,
You experienced that first hand recently, so you know better! Thanks for linking my blog to yours and I hope to be as consistent as you are in blogging.

Sumi,
I think this is true of most of us and I do hope our kids won't develop a laid-back attitude.In response to your comment on Frinitis, "the more the merrier" so feel free to tag along!

SriG,
Thanks for writing in. About TGIF turning into a virus, isn't anything in excess bad?. Thanks for linking my blog to yours and I like the "K's Y's K's". Your blog has been an inspiration to me and hope you will keep up the tempo even after the world cup.